Stage 9 of the Giro d’Italia 2014 is a 172 km medium mountain stage from Lugo to Sestola.
DATE: May 18 2014, Sunday
STAGE TYPE: Medium mountain
START-FINISH: Lugo (15m) > Sestola (1528m)
LENGTH OF THE COURSE: 172.0 km
<< Previous Stage | All stages of Giro d’Italia 2014 | Next Stage >>
Lugo is a town and comune in the northern Italian region of Emilia-Romagna, in the province of Ravenna.
Main sights of Lugo:
- Rocca Estense (Este Castle), the Town Hall from 1797. The current appearance dates from 1500, when the old fortress was rebuilt; the eastern side was erected during the Napoleonic occupation. The interior houses portraits of famous lughesi, a lunette attributed to Mino da Fiesole and a noteworthy 19th-century garden.
- The Pavaglione, former 19th century covered market (mainly known for silkworm trade).
- The Oratorio of Croce Coperta, with 15th-century frescoes.
- The ‘Collegiata’ church, rebuilt in the 18th century over a 13th-century Franciscan edifice, has a suggestive 15th-century cloister.
- San Francesco di Paola (1890), houses a precious polychrome terracotta sculpture of Dead Christ (15th century).
- Teatro Rossini, now a 445-seat opera house, completely restored between 1984 and 1986 based on its original conception from 1759 and restoration and expansion in 1821.
Sestola is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Modena in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna, located about 60 km southwest of Bologna and about 50 km southwest of Modena. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 2,647.