Vuelta a España 2014 Stage 12 Details – it is a 166.4 km flat stage starting and finishing in Logroño, the capital of the province of La Rioja in northern Spain.
Previous stage: Vuelta a España 2014 Stage 11 Details
Previous stage: Vuelta a España 2014 Stage 13 Details
Vuelta a España 2014 Stage 12 quick info
- DATE September 04, 2014, Thursday
- STAGE TYPE Flat
- START-FINISH Logroño (375 m) – Logroño (375 m)
- LENGTH OF THE COURSE 166.4 km
Vuelta a España 2014 Stage 12 profile
Vuelta a España 2014 Stage 12 start and finish city: Logroño
Vuelta a España 2014 Stage 12 start and finish city, Logroño is the capital of the province of La Rioja, an autonomous community and a province in northern Spain. The city is a center of the trade-in Rioja wine, for which the area is noted, and produces wood, metal, and textile products.
Logroño was an old settlement. Its Roman name was Vareia. From the 10th century, possession of Logroño was disputed between the kings of Navarre and those of Castile; the region was finally annexed to Castile. The name is a combination of le and Groin, mashed together as Logroño over time.
Alfonso VI of Castile granted Logroño in 1095 a charter of rights that served as a model for other Spanish cities. In 1609 and 1610 Logroño was the main seat of the Basque witch trials, part of the Spanish Inquisition.
Main sights are:
- Con-Catedral de Santa María de la Redonda
- Iglesia (Church) de San Bartolomé
- Iglesia de Santiago
- Iglesia de Palacio
- Museo de La Rioja
- Parlamento de La Rioja, an old factory of the tabacalera, the national tobacco company.
- Muralla del Revellín
- Fuente (Fountain) de los Riojanos Ilustres, in which royal figures with a connection to either Logroño or La Rioja are represented in bronze. Because the figures are placed looking towards the public and so large torrents of water pour down behind them, the fountain is commonly known as the one with “wet backs”.
- Bridge of Mantible, in the El Cortijo district. Constructed during the Roman era and declared Bien de Interés Cultural in the Monument category on January 25, 1983.
- Theatre of Bretón de los Herreros