The ongoing pandemic has forced the organizers of the Granfondo Stelvio Santini to reschedule the 2021 edition until Sunday, September 12th. Santini Cycling Wear and organizers Unione Sportiva Bormiese took the decision to postpone the event for three months to guarantee a safer environment for cyclists and volunteers alike.
Because, despite some signs of improvement, the current situation relating to the spread of Covid-19 remains uncertain, Santini Cycling Wear and Union Sportiva Bormiese have taken the difficult decision to postpone the Granfondo Stelvio Santini from June 6th to Sunday, September 12th 2021.
“It was a really tough but necessary decision because the safety of our guests and all the volunteers at the center has always been our first priority” – explained Paola Santini, Marketing Manager Santini Cycling Wear. “We have learned to be cautious over the last few months and so we have chosen to postpone our Granfondo by three months”.
Under normal circumstances, the Alta Valtellina event attracts 3,500 participants from over 45 countries, half of whom come from abroad. However, welcoming such a large number of people as well as their friends, family, and coaches, would make staging the event safely problematic. Therefore, the date has been postponed and all participants entered for the June 6th event will automatically be added to the start list for September 12th.
“We are working to organize the Granfondo Stelvio Santini in line with the FCI’s Covid-19 prevention protocols and national regulations – added Mario Zangrando of organizers US Bormiese – to guarantee a standard that will ensure the safety of all involved”.
For further information: www.granfondostelviosantini.com
Granfondo Stelvio Santini 2021 Event details
- Name: Granfondo Stelvio Santini
- Location: Alta Valtellina – from Bormio to the Stelvio Pass (Province of Sondrio)
- Edition: 10th
- Date: 12th September 2021
- Long Route: Bormio – Teglio – Mortirolo – Bormio – Stelvio > 151.3 km (4,058m elevation change)
- Medium Route: Bormio – Teglio – Bormio – Stelvio > 137.9 km (3,053m elevation change)
- Short Route: Bormio – Sondalo – Bormio – Stelvio > 60 km (1,950m elevation change)
- Organiser: US Bormiese
- Website: www.granfondostelviosantini.com
- Bernard Hinault and Francesco Moser, 1981 Paris-Roubaix - December 8, 2023
- Alto de l’Angliru: the hardest climb in cycling’s Grand Tours - September 13, 2023
- Complete List of UCI Elite Men Road Race World Champions - August 6, 2023