Colnago has released its new model, C60. It is lighter, stiffer, and still respects the Italian brand’s history: the Colnago C60 retains the company’s famous Master star-shaped tubes, a shape that has become synonymous with the Colnago.
The new C60 also coming with a few unique design elements, including a “ThreadFit” bottom bracket shell that features a closely machined steel insert. And various cross-sections of tubes have increased volume, thinner walls, and drastic tube profiles.
There will be three different Colnago C60 models: The C60 Italia, The C60 Race, and The C60 Classic.
The C60 (60 means 2014 is the 60th anniversary of Colnago frames, see notes 1) will be built in Colnago’s Cambiago, Italy, facility – across the street from the home of Ernesto Colnago himself. Much of Colnago’s production has moved to Asia, but the company’s premier frames, including the steel Master series and the C-series, are still “made in Italy”.
It’s 140 grams lighter than the previous C59 (though it’s still not light, at 1045 grams, see notes 2), but stiffer.
Read more: colnago.com
- Ernesto Colnago got his start with a small bike shop in his hometown of Cambiago, just east of Milan, and quickly moved into building bikes for the likes of Eddy Merckx. Today, the C60 is assembled in the basement underneath his house, which is quite literally just across the street from Colnago’s main headquarters. Some of his employees have been with him for more than 30 years.
- According to Colnago, some bicycle manufacturers are pushing unsafe products into the marketplace. Colnago sees 1000 grams as the lower limit. From Colnago’s website: “The often unreliable and inconsistent traditional manufacturing process with carbon can produce end-products with often suspect yield and fatigue strength. Circumstances can lead inferior frames to not only crack but can result in catastrophic failure without warning. Many processes used to lighten frame weight are simply not proven to be reliable. With technological application, it is possible to see frames in the marketplace with weights between 700g and 800g. These frames can be tempting to the consumer looking for the lightweight advantage. Colnago believes in a limit of 1000g. It is simply not worth sacrificing handling, safety, and reliability for the negligible advantage of a few grams of static frame weight.“
- Santini L’Étape du Tour De France 2022 Special Collection - October 19, 2021
- Santini to partner with the Tour de France - October 11, 2021
- Team Delko will wear a “LOOK 1985” Mondrian kit in the Paris-Roubaix 2021 - October 1, 2021