Stage 14 of the Giro d’Italia 2014 is a 164 km high mountain stage from Agliè to Oropa. The route contains 1099-meter-high Alpe Noveis and 1482-meter-high Bielmonte climbs. The stage has an uphill finish atop 1142-meter-high Biella.
Table of Contents
DATE: May 24 2014, Saturday
STAGE TYPE: High mountain
START-FINISH: Agliè (345m) > Oropa (Biella) (1142m)
LENGTH OF THE COURSE: 164.0 km
Agliè is a comune (municipality) in the province of Turin in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 35 kilometres (22 mi) north of Turin.Agliè borders the following municipalities: San Martino Canavese, Torre Canavese, Bairo, Vialfrè, Cuceglio, San Giorgio Canavese, and Ozegna.
Main sights of Agliè
Agliè’s main attraction is its Castello Ducale, one of the Residences of the Royal House of Savoy, listed in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list. Dating from the 12th century, originally a possession of the counts of San Martino. In the 17th century it was turned into a rich residence by count Filippo d’Agliè, but was ravaged during the French invasion of 1706.
In 1765 it was acquired by Charles Emmanuel III of Savoy and sold it to his son Benedetto of Savoy who had it radically renewed ten years later, under design by Ignazio Birago di Bòrgaro. Thenceforth it was a summer residence for the Kings of Sardinia. It was sold to the Italian state in 1939.
It has a monumental façade with two stairs and a fountain; the interior includes 300 rooms, mostly provided with contemporary furniture. The castle is surrounded by large English- and Italian-style gardens. It was used as the location for the Italian series Elisa di Rivombrosa as Rivombrosa.
Other sights include:
- Church of Santa Marta, a notable example of Baroque architecture by Costanzo Michela
- Parrocchiale di San Massimo, annexed to the castle
- Villa Meleto, a 19th-century countryside residence used by poet Guido Gozzano
- Church of San Gaudenzio, where Gozzano is buried.
Read more on wikipedia
Finish: Oropa (Biella)
The Sanctuary of Oropa (Italian: santuario di Oropa), is a group of Roman Catholic buildings and structures in the municipality of Biella, Italy. It is located at a height of 1,159 meter in a small valley of the Alpi Biellesi.
Read more on wikipedia
- The new LeMond bikes are coming, and they will be carbon - July 27, 2020
- HERO Trails: Summer 2020 is even better if on your mountain bike in the dolomites - July 23, 2020
- HERO summer 2020: the HERO spirit is back - July 18, 2020