Giro d’Italia 2014 stage 13 is a 157 km flat stage from Fossano to Rivarolo Canavese.
Giro d’Italia 2014 stage 13 quick info
- DATE: May 23, 2014, Friday
- STAGE TYPE: Flat
- START-FINISH: Fossano (31m) > Rivarolo Canavese (10m)
- LENGTH OF THE COURSE: 157.0 km
Previous stage: Giro d’Italia 2014 Stage 12 details
Next stage: Giro d’Italia 2014 Stage 14 details
Giro d’Italia 2014 stage 13 profile
Giro d’Italia 2014 stage 13 map
Giro d’Italia 2014 stage 13 start: Fossano
Fossano is a town and comune of Piedmont, Italy, in the province of Cuneo. It is the fourth largest town of the Province of Cuneo, after Cuneo, Alba, and Bra. It lies on the main railway line from Turin to Cuneo and to Savona and has a branch line to Mondovì.
Main Sights of Fossano
The old part of the town of Fossano lies in the high part of the town. It is divided into two borghi (ancient quarters): Borgo Piazza (Square’s Quarter), developed in the 15th-18th centuries, and Borgo Vecchio (Old Quarter), the oldest part of the town, dating from the Middle Ages.
Rich in medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque buildings, it is characterized by the ancient portici (arcades), built on both sides of via Roma (the main street of the old town) but also along other streets, such as via Cavour, via Garibaldi, via Barotti, via Muratori.
On the Eastern side, the old town is delimited by viale Mellano, a pedestrian promenade with a wonderful sight of Langhe; on the Western side, along with viale Martiri dell’Indipendenza, viale Sacerdote, and viale Bianco, you can enjoy the panorama of the South-western Alps, whose apex is Monviso. Some sections of the ancient town walls are still extant.
Castle of the Princes of Acaja
It is a massive castle with four high towers, begun by Filippo d’Acaia in 1314 and finished in 1332. It has a square plan with four powerful towers at each side, connected by passages with merlons. One century later Amadeus VIII of Savoy turned it into a ducal residence; the beautiful inner courtyard, designed by Gaspare Solari, is from the late 15th century. The castle, after serving as a jail and barracks, is now the seat of cultural events and of one of the biggest libraries of the region.
The cathedral was reconstructed at the end of the 18th century in Neoclassicist style, replacing the former 13th-century church.
The town’s hospital and the Trinity Church were designed by Francesco Gallo in the 18th century. The Palazzo del Comandante is a Baroque building constructed in the 17th century. There are also Mineral Baths and a center for agriculture and cattle breeding.
Giro d’Italia 2014 stage 13 finish: Rivarolo Canavese
Rivarolo Canavese is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Turin in the Italian region of Piedmont, located about 30 kilometers (19 mi) north of Turin.
Main Sights of Rivarolo Canavese
- Malgrà Castle: Of medieval origin like many castles in the Canavese area, it was built between 1333 and 1336 by Count Martino di San Martino, a feudal lord who governed the territories of Agliè and Rivarolo. It remained in the hands of the counts of San Martino until the middle of the 17th century and was then subject to various changes of ownership. In 1884 – 85 it was renovated by Alfredo d’Andrade, a well-known architect passionate about medieval memories. Since 1982 it has been owned by the municipality of Rivarolo Canavese.
- Church of San Michele Arcangelo: It is an octagonal church built in 1759 with an eight-segmented dome decorated with stucco, in which there is a small dome: it is considered one of the masterpieces of the Turin architect Bernardo Antonio Vittone. On the left side altar, there is a late-Gothic wooden statue collected in the Orco river during its flood.
- Church and Convent of San Francesco: It is the most interesting vestige of the fifteenth century in Rivarolo. Popular tradition traces its foundation to Francis of Assisi . It contains an important fresco by Giovanni Martino Spanzotti representing an Adoration of the Child , considered the most important painting in the city. In the twenty-first century the building houses a private school.
- Church of San Giacomo: Built in 1775 on a project by the architect Costanzo Michela . Valuable baroque façade in exposed masonry (restoration in 1991). Interior with three naves with apse, remarkable high altar. Wooden statue of the Virgin by Clement, painting Supper of Emmaus by the Ivorian painter Tullio Alemanni. To the side of the apse, the 48 m bell tower surmounted by the rooster, the city’s symbol.
- Church of the Confraternity of SS. Name of Jesus: This church dates back to the early seventeenth century, it has undergone successive extensions culminating in 1677 with the construction of the bell tower. Its name is due to the Confraternity born in Rivarolo in the sixteenth century, which met here. The interior of the church features elegant canvases depicting the Virgin of the Angels , Sant’Orsola and Sant’Erasmo . It houses the relics of San Vittore in a chapel of the same name adjacent to the altar. Do not miss a valuable wooden pulpit dated 1880.
- Church of the Confraternity of San Rocco and San Carlo: It was born from a vote of 1630 by the Rivarolesi, during a terrible plague that afflicted the countryside. The church was consecrated on December 26, 1754 . It has a single nave with Rococo decorations by Giovanni Domenico Molinari . In the altar an urn holds the relics of Saint Felicissima , a Roman martyr, transferred in 1754.
- Via Ivrea: Street among the most elegant of the Canavese, thanks to the fine arcades (about 500 m) on both sides and the porphyry flooring. In ancient times it was the vital center of the city and was called via Maestra. In the twenty-first century, besides the churches of S. Michele, Confraternita del SS. Nome di Gesù and S. Rocco and S. Carlo, we find the Town Hall and interesting period buildings such as Broglio, Toesca di Castellazzo and Palma di Cesnola.
- Piazza Litisetto: It has a beautiful terracotta porch, recently renovated. The square saw the light in 1883 as a poultry market and for this reason it is also locally called Piasa del Buro . On the north side is the city tourist office with adjoining rooms for exhibitions and temporary cultural activities.
- Alto de l’Angliru: the hardest climb in cycling’s Grand Tours - September 13, 2023
- Complete List of UCI Elite Men Road Race World Champions - August 6, 2023
- Tour de France Winner Groupsets [Year by Year, from 1937 to 2023] - July 23, 2023