Today, I want to tell you about Qhubeka. Qhubeka is a South-Africa based volunteer organization aim to help rural communities move forward and progress by giving bicycles to children in return for work done to improve their environment and their community.
Qhubeka is an Nguni (Zulu, Xhosa) word that means “to carry on”, “to progress”, “to move forward”.
- More than 100,000 bikes distributed since 2004
- Child’s commute to school reduced by 75%
- Sport Infrastructure cost per child reduced by 90%
- Micro-finance loan recipient earnings increased by 500%
- Healthcare worker OVC visits increased by 400%
To make a donation and support the project, please visit: http://qhubeka5000.org/
Team MTN-Qhubeka (Powered by Samsung)
MTN Qhubeka (UCI Team Code: MTN) is Africa’s most winning and largest multi-discipline pro cycle race team. The team was founded in 2007, becoming a Continental Team in 2008. The team remained as a UCI Continental Team until the end of the 2012 season, with the team registering its interest for a Professional Continental licence for 2013. In November 2012, the team were registered as a Professional Continental team – Africa’s first – by the Union Cycliste Internationale, for the 2013 season.
The talented athletes in Team MTN race to build exposure for Qhubeka’s rural initiatives and ride to inspire potential new athletes within the community of Qhubeka bike recipients.
MTN Group is a South Africa-based multinational mobile telecommunications company, operating in many African and Middle Eastern countries.
Qhubeka home page (Qhubeka.org)
- Tour de France Winner Groupsets, Year by Year - September 20, 2020
- Selle Italia celebrates president’s 80th birthday and launches the new company logo - September 3, 2020
- NTT Pro Cycling celebrates 10 years with Qhubeka at the 2020 Tour de France - August 29, 2020