The best cycling movies – here are some of the great films about cycling and cycling races.
Table of Contents
A Sunday in Hell (1976) (En forårsdag i Helvede)
- Director: Jørgen Leth
- Cast: Eddy Merckx, Roger De Vlaeminck, Marc Demeyer, Freddy Maertens and others
1976 edition of “The Queen of the Classics”: Paris-Roubaix. It has been said that it’s the most beautiful movie about cycling. Great soundtrack, specially composed for the movie. Epic scenes from the real race.
Related: Paris-Roubaix choir
Stars and Water Carriers (1974)
- Director: Jørgen Leth
- Cast: Marino Basso, Felice Gimondi, Eddy Merckx, Ole Ritter and others
Another great Jørgen Leth film. This movie displays the scenes from 1973 Giro d’Italia. Eddy Merckx era.
You can watch the full movie on Youtube:
The Flying Scotsman (2006)
- Director: Douglas Mackinnon
- Cast: Jonny Lee Miller (Graeme Obree), Brian Cox (The Priest), Billy Boyd (Malky), Laura Fraser (the wife of Graeme Obree)
The real story of the Graeme Obree, former track world champion and hour record holder. He was known for his unusual riding positions and for the “Old Faithful” bicycle he built which included parts from a washing machine.
Hell on Wheels (2004)
Directors: Pepe Danquart, Werner Schweizer
Cast: Erik Zabel, Rolf Aldag, Alexandre Vinokourov, Lance Armstrong and others
The story of the 2003 Tour de France from the Team Telekom’s point of view. Scenes from the tour and inside the team.
Chasing Legends (2010)
- Director: Jason Berry
- Cast: Mark Cavendish, George Hincapie, Kim Kirchen and others
The story of the 2009 Tour de France from the Team HTC Columbia’s point of view. Scenes from the tour and inside the team. Epic scenes!
Here is the fragment of the movie:
Les Triplettes de Belleville (2003)
Director: Sylvain Chomet
A funny animated movie. Some scenes from the Tour de France and Mont Ventoux.
The trailer of the movie:
The Last Kilometer: A cycling documentary
- With: Davide Rebellin, Ignazio Moser, Gianni Mura, “El Diablo” Didi Senft
- Also with Francesco Moser, Cadel Evans, Gedeone Rebellin, Marco Milesi, Francoise Antonini
“The Last Kilometer / a cycling documentary” is a film totally dedicated to a passion, an emotion, a sport: Cycling.
The movie follows the story and an entire cycling season of “the old” Davide Rebellin, 41 years old and still fighting in the peloton after many victories and scandals, and “the young” Ignazio Moser, promising 20 years old son of cycling champion Francesco Moser.
The famous Italian journalist Gianni Mura, Tour de France correspondent since 1967, helps us to discover what cycling was and what it has become today, after doping scandals, passion, epic, richness, and decadence.
Finally, a bit of madness and insane joy is brought into the movie by Didi Senft, better known as “El Diablo”, a living and metaphorical symbol of all cycling fans, with their passion and their enthusiasm.
The Last Kilometer, “L’Ultimo Chilometro” is a portrait of cycling.
The Greatest Show on Earth
The epic documentary about the 1974 Giro d’Italia. A film by Michael Pfleghar and Hans Gottschalk.
- Fabio Aru signs for Team Qhubeka ASSOS - December 3, 2020
- Brown, Tanfield, and Vinjebo sign-on for Team Qhubeka ASSOS - December 3, 2020
- Bennett, Wisniowski, and Vacek sign with Team Qhubeka ASSOS - November 28, 2020